Monday, May 6, 2013

Chalkboard Shelf from a Broken Chair

Last fall, we were lucky enough to get permission to raid an old barn. And boy, did we ever! :) We got lots of cool goodies from that adventure!
While we were there, we peeked into an old silo too. In it, was this old broken chair back.
I'm so glad we grabbed it, even tho, at the time, I had no idea what I was going to do with it!

I finally found inspiration from Angie at Knick of Time Interiors with her awesome collection of repurposed chair backs. You should definitely check out her post, too, if you haven't seen it yet.
When we picked this one up, it was basically just the back and what I think may have been an arm of the chair. I detached the arm, cleaned it all off with soapy water, and started painting.
I decided to make the back into a chalkboard area. Who doesn't love chalkboard, after all?

For the sides, I used Duck Egg blue under Old White. I painted the cross pieces and the spindles in Santa Fe Turquoise and added Smokey Mountain over that.
Then I distressed and waxed.
I knew I wanted to add a shelf. And it just so happened that the arm I had removed was almost a perfect fit. Eric had to trim it a bit, but it worked out great! I gave that the same paint job as the rest, Duck Egg and Old White on the top and bottom of the shelf, and Santa Fe Turquoise and Smokey Mountiain on the outside edge. 

It's just the right size for a few antique bottles. :)
I added three white hooks to the bottom spindle.
Still, something was missing...

I wanted to put something between the sides and the chalkboard area, but was unsure what I wanted to use there. One day at work, I was looking at some backgrounds for a design I was working when I came across a denim stock photo. Then it hit me! I could cut up an old pair of jeans to attach to my chair back.
I went home and grabbed a pair of my daughter's jeans that had grown too small, cut them into strips and painted some Old White and Santa Fe onto the denim. Once it had dried, I simply folded it so the raw edges would be in back and sewed a cute little button on to keep it tucked together. Then stapled it to the back of the chair!
The denim strips would be perfect for using as a memo board with some simple  clothespins, don't you think?
I just love how this one turned out! Hope you like it too :)


If you haven't liked our facebook page yet, you can do that here.
And you can follow me on Pinterest with this link.
To get my new posts at bloglovin', just click this.
Getting new followers and comments absolutely makes my day! :)



Everyone loves a good party!
Check my project out along with other great inspiration, at these great blogs...

One Project at a Time at A Bowl Full of Lemons, Transformation Tuesday at The Ironstone Nest, Monday Funday at Creatively Living, Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm, The Scoop at Cedar Hill Ranch, Project Inspired{d}at Cupcakes and Crinoline, You're Gonna Love It at Kathe with an E, Transformed Tuesdays at PJH Designs, Tweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little House, Take a Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts, Primp Your Stuff Wednesday at Primp Junktion, Be Inspired at Elizabeth and Co, Pretty Things Link Party at twelveOeight, Time to Shine at A Diamond in the Stuff, Too Cute Tuesday at Funky Polkadot Giraffe, The Power of Paint Party at Domestically Speaking, Creatively Tuesday at The Rustic Pig, Show Me What You Got at Not Just a Housewife, Share It Link Party at The Winthrop Chronicles, Tasteful Tuesday at Naptime Creations, Tutorial Tuesday at Hope Studios, Trash 2 Treasure at Kammy's Korner, Fluster's Creative Muster Party at Fluster Buster, The Creative Spark at Clean and Scentsible, Tuesdays at Our Home at Our Home Away from Home, Homemade by You at Made to be a Momma, Trendy Tuesdays at Sweet Little Gals, Brag About It Tuesday at Bebetsy

Wildly Original Link Party at I Gotta Create, Wow Us Wednesday at Family Home and Life, Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts, Whimsy Wednesday at Smart School House, What's It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants, Wednesday Whatsits at White Lights on Wednesday, What We Accomplished Wednesday at Green Willow Pond, Under $100 Linky Party at Beyond the Picket Fence, Show and Share at Southern Lovely, Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style, Wow Me Wednesday at Gingersnap Crafts, From Dream to Reality at The DIY Dreamer, Its' a Party! at A Creative Princess, Show Off Your Stuff Party at Fireflies and Jellybeans, Look What I Made Wednesday at Creations by Kara, Create and Share at The Trendy Treehouse, A Little Bird Told Me Link Party at The Life of Jennifer Dawn, Oh What a Happy Day Link Party at Not Done Growing

Simply Creations Link Party at My Simple Homelife, Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed, Inspire Me Please Link Party at Liz Marie Blog, Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest, Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage, What Have You Redone at Redoux Interiors, Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home, Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove, Simple and Sweet Fridays at Rooted inThyme, Be Inspired at Common Ground, Faunt It Friday at Chic on a Shoestring Decorating, Frugalicious Friday at Finding Fabulous, Fabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer Rizzo, Show and Tell Friday at Romantic Home, Junkin' Joe Vintage and Thrifty Finds at The Cottage Market, Weekend Wrap-Up Party at Tatertots and Jello, Shabbilicious Friday Link Party at Shabby Art Boutique, Tickled Pink at 504 Main, Anything Blue Friday at The Dedicated House, Rustic Restorations Weekend Link Party at Homespun Happenings,  Great Idea Thursdays at A Handful of Everything

33 comments:

  1. What a clever girl you are. I love what you did with old chair back. I found an old one last weekend, still haven't decided what to do with it yet.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Bev
    @ Eclectic Red Barn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea! Cute, clever and thrifty! Thanks for joining Diann and I at TTF!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute! Thanks for joining Marvelous Mondays. ~ Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! I love how you layered all of the different colors of paint--it turned out so great! I popped over from Making the World Cuter--thanks for sharing!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is stinkin adorable!! Thanks for sharing on Monday's Pin Hop!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute idea!! I'm now going to be looking for a chair when I go to garage sales so I can make this!! Thank you for participating at SHOW-licious Craft Showcase!!

    Marti
    http://sew-licious.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! I am new from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and follow me back! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a creative use of old denim - that is a unique touch to the chair back chalkboard. Love the colors and the distressed finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So creative. Love this. Great post and pictures. We found your link at BeBetsy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a cute idea. Thanks for sharing it on our Brag About It Tuesday Party. ~~ Sharon & Denise

    ReplyDelete
  11. cute chair. love the color.
    and that is one LOOOOOOOOONG list of parties and blogs.

    blessings
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this idea. Glad I stopped by I enjoyed your blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing at Give Me The Goods!
    Dimples & Pig Tales

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK, its way to cute. Great idea:) Thanks for sharing at the Cabin's BUDGET DECORATING PARTY.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're so creative, using a broken chair and turning it into a wonderful treasure! Thank you so much for sharing at Simple & Sweet Fridays.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea and it turned out so cute! Thank you for spreading JOY and sharing at the Oh What a HAPPY Day party.

    Holly at Not Done Growing

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a clever idea! Thank you for sharing this on Fluster's Creative Muster Party!

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  18. So Creative! I love seeing unique ideas like this. You really can repurpose just about anything!

    ReplyDelete
  19. As always an awesome creation! Love love love this one! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cool! Lucky you getting to raid a barn. Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Saved as a favorite, I really like your website!


    my website - sizegenetics review

    ReplyDelete
  22. love this idea and it turned out so cute. Thanks for joining us this week at Transformed Tuesday.

    Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for linking up to Whimsy Wednesday! Your project has been featured this week!

    http://www.ohmy-creative.com/featured-projects/diy-favorite-five-craft-trends-whimsy-wednesday/

    Also, you can add your project {or any project} to my website. I feature them on my main slider on the home page...follow this link to submit your project!
    http://www.ohmy-creative.com/submit-a-project/

    Be sure to stop by and grab a button...

    http://www.ohmy-creative.com/grab-a-button/

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is such a cute idea!

    http://www.marriedfiling-jointly.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, I love it! What a great idea! Thank you for sharing at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Denise, I saw Angies post and loved it. You did a great job. Fun find! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I agree, Jann. Angie's were all so darling!

      Delete
  27. Darlin'! I don't know how you do it. You have wonderful amazing ideas. I love the antiqued look of this piece. My very favorite part is the flowers :) Thank you for sharing this @ Great Idea Thursday's! Krista @ A Handful of Everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really very sweet of you to say Krista! Thanks and always happy to share at the party. :)

      Delete
  28. This is really beautiful and clever ! I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Why users still make use of to read news papers when in this technological world the whole thing is existing on web?



    Feel free to visit my page - laser cellulite treatment

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover