Friday, January 8, 2016

Window Framed Rustic Cabinet

Window Framed Rustic Cabinet | Denise on a Whim
The cabinet I'm sharing with you today
is something I am very proud of!
Not only because it's made from an old window
(and don't we all love those!)
but because I built it and it turned out pretty lovely,
despite my lack of carpentry skills!
It all started with this gorgeous window.
I picked it up from a garage sale for $2 (and some personal anguish).Chippy Window Made Into a Rustic Cabinet | Denise on a Whim
Let me explain the anguish part.
While I was at the garage sale, I ran across a very large black spider.
Not only did it scare me to death,
I then had to slightly embarrass myself by asking someone else to squish it.
I am so afraid of spiders that I have a hard time even killing them myself.
Ugh.
I hate those things!

But let's get back to the window
since I'm getting the creepy-crawlies reliving that moment!
A Chippy Window Frames Out the Front of a Rustic Cabinet | Denise on a Whim
The window frame was beautifully chippy with some rusty hardware.
In other words, it was gorgeous!
Rustic Cabinet Made with a Chippy Old Window | Denise on a Whim
When I finally decided I wanted to make a cabinet out of it,
my first thought was to use the window as a door for the cabinet.
I decided against it though and opted for an open-faced cabinet, more like a bookcase,
with the window simply framing it out.
Rustic Cabinet Made with a Chippy Old Window | Denise on a Whim
For the sides of the cabinet,
I used some weathered tongue-in-groove siding pieces
that I had picked up in a burn pile.
The beautiful grey of the siding looks great with the chippy window!
Rustic Cabinet Made with a Chippy Old Window and Weathered Wood Siding | Denise on a Whim
I only had enough of the weathered siding to use for the sides of the cabinet.
For the top, the bottom and the shelf,
I purchased new panels of the same tongue-in-groove board
and painted them with a grey color called weathered wood to coordinate.
Rustic Cabinet Made with a Chippy Old Window and Weathered Wood Siding | Denise on a Whim
The back of the cabinet is made from 1x4 boards,
painted alternately with white and off-white chalk paint.
I left the rough edges of the boards unpainted
to match the raw wood of the interior of the siding on the sides.
Window Framed Cabinet with Neutral Interior | Denise on a Whim
Although I had every intention of selling this piece
when the idea of it formed in my head,
once it was finished, I found I couldn't part with it.
The cabinet is all mine!

At least for now.
Cabinet Made from a Chippy Window, Weathered Wood Siding and NewBoards Painted in Neutral Colors | Denise on a Whim

Let's keep in touch...
Your comments make me smile :) 'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover