Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Vintage Scale Sign and Wall Hook

Vintage Scale Sign and Wall Hook | Denise on a Whim
I've been spending some time lately redecorating my bathroom.
After taking care of some basics and storage items,
I got busy on a few fun projects,
like this vintage scale that I converted into a bathroom wall hook and sign!

The scale looked like this when I first bought it. 
Using a Vintage Scale to Create a Wall Hook | Denise on a Whim
It's been sitting around in a box for 3 or so years now.
Collecting dust and feeling very unloved.
But, as I thought of things to fill my newly decorated bathroom,
this old girl immediately came to mind!

I mean, how could I let this rusty metal and retro graphic just sit in a box??
Rusty Vintage Scale Made into a Wall Hook | Denise on a Whim
I figured I could find a way to display this old scale on the wall or something.
After a coat of paint, that is.

I got out some teal chalk paint and covered up the marble black on the top,
which I was not a fan of.
Rusty Vintage Scale Made into a Sign and Wall Hook | Denise on a Whim
The next step was to cut a stencil and paint on some lettering.
I've always liked this quote and it seemed perfectly fitting for the scale.
Stenciled Quote on a Vintage Scale Wall Hook | Denise on a Whim
 After adding the quote, I got a new idea in my head.
What if this scale wasn't just a sign,
but something useful, like a wall hook?

I bought a package of 2 wire hooks at Menards.
They were shiny gold and not suitable at all for my new bathroom.
I spray painted them with a brushed silver to give them an aged appearance.

Then came the hard part.
Figuring out how to take apart the scale and attach a hook.
Since the hook needed something to bite into,
I figured I would need to add a piece of wood behind the face of the scale.
The problem was, I couldn't see any hardware attaching the face to the inside of the scale.
I searched and searched, finally grabbing a screwdriver
and prying the face up ever so much to locate hardware.
Still nothing.
But, in the midst of prying, I realized the face seemed to be getting a little looser.
Deathly afraid I was going to break the scale,
I continued with the gentle prying until suddenly,
POP!
The top of the scale became unattached from the bottom.
Turns out, it was glued to the innards of the scale.
No wonder I couldn't find any hardware!
Stenciled Quote on a Vintage Scale Wall Hook | Denise on a Whim
Then I found out a few things about scales.
First, I saw what was inside them.
And it really wasn't all that much.
A metal plate, some smaller metal pieces, the round number wheel and a tension mechanism.

Secondly, I found out how utterly disgusting the inside of a scale could be
after sitting for who-knows-how-many-years on the floor in someone's bathroom.
Let's just say, yuck doesn't really even begin to cover it!
Talk about some dust bunnies...

Once I had gotten it apart, the only thing I was really worried about saving
was the number circle that goes under the bubble on the face.
Everything came out and I soaked the bottom of that scale
in hot, soapy water for quite some time!

After the scale was clean, I drilled a hole in the face where I would place the hook
and simply added some wood behind the face for the screw to attach to.
I knew that once I put the face back on, the scrap wood would stay in place.

I put the number wheel back on and used Loctite to adhere the face onto the back again.

For hanging, I drilled two keyhole style holes right into the back of the scale.
Vintage Scale Wall Hook in a Farmhouse Bathroom | Denise on a Whim
I'm so glad I thought about converting this into a wall hook instead of just a sign.
I love the little pitcher of flowers hanging from it
and the scale looks great with my new bathroom decor!
Can't wait to show you the entire bathroom!
Hopefully I can get pictures and put that post up next week. 
Vintage Scale Sign and Wall Hook | Denise on a Whim

Let's keep in touch...
Your comments make me smile :) 'Til next time!
post signature

2 comments:

  1. Did you salvage the tension mechanism or toss it? I’m just wondering how much weight the “innards” added.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is numerous separate years Los angeles Weight reduction eating plan with each a person is a necessity. The pioneer part can be your original getting rid of belonging to the extra pounds. la weight loss https://www.rajpostexam.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover