Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Love is All You Need


I was on the phone with someone yesterday. She's a business colleague and a friend on facebook. So she knows a little about what's going on in my life, even though we aren't what you'd call traditional friends. We talked a bit about a job she needed done and then she asked how everything is going. I sorta laughed because, well, 'things' are not exactly going great lately. But then she said (and I'm paraphrasing), "it sounds like you have a great boyfriend. And everything is always better when you have someone to lean on." She is, of course, exactly right. It wasn't one of those lightbulb moments for me. I already knew the truth of that statement. But it hit me just how much I really do lean on Eric. (And not because I'm off-balance either, so no wisecracks!)

There are certain people in life that you just completely connect with. I've been lucky enough to know a few of those people in my lifetime. And I've found someone now who knows me so well, it scares me just a bit, even as it thrills me...

It's a little on the side of amazing when someone really "gets" you, and I mean the inside-out kind of "gets" you. What you're about and who you are inside, regardless of the show you put on for everyone. Someone who can look at you, or hear your voice, and know what you're really thinking, no matter what words are coming out of your mouth. It can, sometimes, be a little annoying actually. I mean, what if I want to keep a thing or two to myself, huh? :) Sometimes it's startling, too. Shouldn't it take years and years for someone to know you that well, not just a few short months? What kind of wacky-soulmate stuff is going on here anyway? :)

But, all jokes aside, it's so much more than that... it's dazzling and amazing; cozy as a nap in the sunshine on a lazy day; comforting when you need relief. There's nothing better, at least for me, that having two arms to hold me together when I feel like everything is falling apart at my feet. When I feel like I'm about to crumble into a million pieces. And the best part is that I don't need to ask. I don't need to do a thing, because he already knows. I can sometimes hardly believe how well he knows just what I need, exactly when I need it.

The truth is, Eric knew I needed him and the love he was offering me way before I did. I was the stubborn one. I didn't want to feel like I "needed" someone. But I sure did! And I eventually had to admit it. :) I couldn't be happier that I finally did. I'm not sure now what the whole point in being stubborn was at all. I can't remember my reasoning for it. Well, I suppose I can remember, but it just doesn't matter anymore. The things that happened in the past simply melted away and aren't significant in the face of the love I'm part of now. That is, perhaps, the most beautiful aspect of this whole thing...

Love can lift you out of the hole you've fallen into. Then it fills that hole right in, so you won't go and fall in it again! Whatever happened, whatever grief you've lived through or ugliness you've left behind, whatever issues you're dealing with in the here-and-now, if you have real love, you really do have all you need. Just make sure you let it in when it's standing in front of you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover