Thursday, May 24, 2012

Thankful Thursday... A Messy House and a Full Life


I'm sitting here having a cup of coffee before work, looking at my house and all the clutter I can see. From my perch on the couch, I can see a small pile of barbies and cars that didn't quite get put away, two piles of craft projects I'm working on, swimming suits I got out of the garage, washed and didn't get put away yet because the kids and I need to clean out their dressers to make room, a group of paint cans that I've been using sitting on the dining room table, a pile of toys I plan on donating. I could go on, but this is getting a little embarassing...

And, let's face it, it's also a little depressing. I used to be the kind of person who liked to have everything in its proper place. Neat and Tidy were my two closest friends. But then something happened... I had kids. Then something else happened... I got friends. Then I went and got in a relationship. And he and I started On A Whim, our second job, if you will. I started this blog. Yada, yada, yada....

So, I say I "used to" like everything nicely organized and neatly put away. But who am I kidding? In a perfect world, I'd still love that! Alas, I do not live in a perfect world. Organization dumped me for someone else (or was it the other way around?) and Tidy, I guess we just lost touch. I met and became friends with Lack of Time (otherwise known as Busy, Involved, or just "Mom," for short) and Clutter. We just seemed to hit it off famously! :)

I try to keep in contact with my old friends. They even come by for a brief visit now and again. Then I can look around and feel satisfaction in my fairly tidy house. But that doesn't last long, usually not even for an entire day! And I'm back to where I am right now, looking at the mess in front of me. And, I must admit, it sometimes gets my spirits down...

But then I think about the reasons why I'm looking at clutter, at little piles of stuff. And it's because I have a lot going on. I have two beautiful, happy kids and a busy, productive life. And I think I can live with that. In a way, I'm thankful for my messy house, because it's a part of my full life and all the things that make living more satisfying, more creative, and just plain happier! And that beats just existing anyday. :)

1 comment:

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover