Monday, April 8, 2013

Shabby Striped Stools

These two shabby stools have been mine for awhile. I used to have the perfect spot for them , a long, long time ago in another house. I had an island between my kitchen and dining room and these were great there.
But when I moved into my current house, they ended up sitting in my garage. 
One day, one of them wound up back in the house, for my scrapbooking area. The legs got trimmed about 2" to fit the table height I would be sitting at. 
I was all set to scrapbook.
And then I had my second child...
I got a tad bit busy.
And ended up not doing much scrapbooking after that! :)
So last week, I dug one of them out of the garage and grabbed the other lonely, unused stool from my bedroom. Once again, I forgot to take a before picture. I get so excited about starting things that I dive right in without thinking! :) But I can at least describe them for you. They originally had white legs and a light, natural stain on the top. Pretty plain and relatively boring. But functional stools, nonetheless. 
I painted some Virginia Chestnut on the legs where I knew I would be distressing them. Once it was dry, I painted Old White over that.  I added Old White on the bottom of the seats as well. Then I painted the top of the stools in Chestnut and added Santa Fe Turquoise around the edges. Then I did the reverse.
I just love aqua and chocolate brown together, don't you?
I shabbied them up a bit, bot the legs and the seats, and I waxed them with both clear and dark wax.
I thought they were finished. But they just weren't...
A few days later, after staring at them, trying to figure out what else I wanted to do to them, I finally figured it out! I got out some masking tape and taped off lines of various thicknesses and spaced unevenly apart. And then I got out the Destin Gulf Green and painted some stripes, distressing those after they were dry and adding wax to those areas.  
Now I think they really are done!
And I couldn't be happier with them. 
What do you think of them?


If you haven't liked our facebook page yet, you can do that here.
And you can follow me on Pinterest with this link.
To get my new posts at bloglovin', just click this.
Getting new followers and comments absolutely makes my day! :)


Everyone loves a good party!
Check my project out along with other great inspiration, at these great blogs...

One Project at a Time at A Bowl Full of Lemons, Transformation Tuesday at The Ironstone Nest, Monday Funday at Creatively Living, Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm, The Scoop at Cedar Hill Ranch, Project Inspired{d}at Cupcakes and Crinoline, You're Gonna Love It at Kathe with an E, Transformed Tuesdays at PJH Designs, Tweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little House, Take a Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts, Primp Your Stuff Wednesday at Primp Junktion, Be Inspired at Elizabeth and Co, Pretty Things Link Party at twelveOeight, Time to Shine at A Diamond in the Stuff, Too Cute Tuesday at Funky Polkadot Giraffe, The Power of Paint Party at Domestically Speaking, Creatively Tuesday at The Rustic Pig, Show Me What You Got at Not Just a Housewife, Share It Link Party at The Winthrop Chronicles, Tasteful Tuesday at Naptime Creations, Tutorial Tuesday at Hope Studios, Trash 2 Treasure at Kammy's Korner, Fluster's Creative Muster Party at Fluster Buster, The Creative Spark at Clean and Scentsible, Tuesdays at Our Home at Our Home Away from Home, Homemade by You at Made to be a Momma

Wildly Original Link Party at I Gotta Create, Wow Us Wednesday at Family Home and Life, Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts, Whimsy Wednesday at Smart School House, What's It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants, Wednesday Whatsits at White Lights on Wednesday, What We Accomplished Wednesday at Green Willow Pond, Under $100 Linky Party at Beyond the Picket Fence, Show and Share at Southern Lovely, Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style, Wow Me Wednesday at Gingersnap Crafts, From Dream to Reality at The DIY Dreamer, Its' a Party! at A Creative Princess, Show Off Your Stuff Party at Fireflies and Jellybeans, Look What I Made Wednesday at Creations by Kara, Create and Share at The Trendy Treehouse, A Little Bird Told Me Link Party at The Life of Jennifer Dawn, Oh What a Happy Day Link Party at Not Done Growing

Simply Creations Link Party at My Simple Homelife, Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed, Inspire Me Please Link Party at Liz Marie Blog, Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest, Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage, What Have You Redone at Redoux Interiors, Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home, Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove, Simple and Sweet Fridays at Rooted inThyme, Be Inspired at Common Ground, Faunt It Friday at Chic on a Shoestring Decorating, Frugalicious Friday at Finding Fabulous, Fabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer Rizzo, Show and Tell Friday at Romantic Home, Junkin' Joe Vintage and Thrifty Finds at The Cottage Market, Weekend Wrap-Up Party at Tatertots and Jello, Shabbilicious Friday Link Party at Shabby Art Boutique, Tickled Pink at 504 Main, Anything Blue Friday at The Dedicated House, Rustic Restorations Link Party at Homespun Happenings, Great Idea Thursdays at A Handful of Everything

37 comments:

  1. Wow, great worn affect. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate you stopping by and leaving such a nice comment, Abbey. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. I love the striped top on these! It really looks great! I'd love for you to come link up to our party where we can show off all of our old or new projects! :)
    http://www.cutesycrafts.com/2013/04/an-oldie-but-goodie-13.html - Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I linked up my picket fence this week, but will be sure to link up the stools next time around! Thanks Jessica!

      Delete
  3. I love using those stools for plants on the porch in the summer!
    Hope you return the visit...have a wonderful weekend, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking these stools would make great stands since they are slightly different lengths. Plants would be a great idea! Thanks Marigene!

      Delete
  4. Your stools are beautiful. The stripes are a nice touch...Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun blog you have! I love the way you added the stripes to the shabby finish on these adorable stools. Our Simply Create Link party is going on right now. I would love to have you link up, as I'm sure my followers would like to see what you created too. Hope to see you soon!

    Melissa
    redflycreations.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa. That's so sweet of you to say :) I'm stopping over in a few!

      Delete
  6. The final touch with the stripes was the perfect touch. They go very well with the other projects you have posted. Love that beautiful color. I am always tizzy over turquoise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. NicE! I've got to somehow copy this for my (currently very ugly) bar stools! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great, love it. Regards, Pascale

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love destin gulf green and the random stripes. Visiting from Make the Scene Monday. I'm co-hosting a blog hop today. I would love for you to join us. Callies's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love them! So pretty with the blue stripes and distressing.
    I'm visiting you today from Give Me The Goods. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    How To: Post a Link in Comments

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look great and I love the color! I have a lot of whims, but they don't usually turn out that well. :)

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are such fun stools! I love the color and the stripes are great. I would like to invite you to link up this great post on Thursday @ Great Idea Thursday's http://ahandfulofeverything.blogspot.com :) Krista

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love what you did with these stools. I have one that needs some lovin, you are giving me some ideas.
    I am following you on Linky and blogLovin.
    Have a wonderful week,
    Bev
    @ Eclectic Red Barn

    ReplyDelete
  14. These stools are so fun..I like the stripey effect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how those came out. The slight distressing with the stripes is perfect! Thanks for sharing at MOnday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for linking up today at the “oh happy day” party!

    I’m your newest follower!

    http://chixnuggetsandcookiebutts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love stripes Denise! The stools turned out really pretty. Thank you for sharing it at to What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a lovely week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love these stools, Denise! Great choice of color.

    Stopping by from Wednesday Whatsits. Have a wonderful weekend!

    Julie @ This Gal Cooks

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are adorable! I love the distressing you did on top! Thanks for linking up to Give Me The Goods Monday! Can't wait to see what goods you bring next week! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! Love the stripes you added. Thank you for linking up to the Crafty country cottage link party!

    Goedele

    ReplyDelete
  21. As always...LOVE your upcycle style my friend! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the new/old stools they look great, thank for sharing at the Cabin:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. They look fabulous! You did a great job, and I love the color. Thank you so much sharing at A Bouquet of Talent this week. Have a wonderful weekend.
    hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  24. They look so cheery! Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very cool stools! I love your paint job. Thanks for joining us at Transformed Tuesday.

    Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

    ReplyDelete
  26. These turned out so beautiful!! I love your paint treatment, thank you so much for linking up to Pretty Things, hope to see you again tonight!

    xo, Tanya
    http://twelveoeight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really cute Denise. Love the striping and the color! Just the perfect amount of distressing too. Thanks for sharing them with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  28. These Shabby Striped stools are inspired - love the color and the striping - I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover