Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Chalkboard with a Magnetic Personality

I found this cheval mirror frame at an auction. There was no mirror in it when I bought it, unless one small shattered piece in the bottom corner counts. The frame itself was in good shape, so I snagged it up for a steal, just knowing it would be a great upcycle project!

I decided pretty early on that it would make cool chalkboard. Maybe even before I bought it.
But what's even more cool about this piece is that it's also magnetic!
Eric got some sheet metal at work and we knew it would be cool to cut a piece to fit into this frame. After the sheet metal was cut, I painted it with chalkboard paint. I also added chalkboard paint to the back as well, so now it's 2-sided. And why not? It flips for Pete's sake! Might as well be 2-sided! Why waste a perfectly good surface when you can use chalkboard paint on it? :) 
For the frame, I used Old White for the first coat, then added some Kentucky Mint and finally a little Santa Fe Turquoise. Then I distressed with a damp rag.
For the stand, I chose a light coat of Aubusson Blue (you can see that the base is still peeking through) with a dry-brush of Kentucky Mint. I used this same effect later on the shabby shelves I posted about last week.
I think she's awfully pretty now. And oh-so-functional, too!
Here's a photo of the back. Had I known this photo would end up at the end of the post, I would have written goodbye instead of hello! :)
I guess I'll just say it instead... goodbye for now. But I sure do hope you'll pop back in next time!

Head on over and like our facebook page here.
Follow me on Pinterest with this link.
To get all the latest posts through bloglovin', just click this.
New followers and comments absolutely make my day! :)
post signature

Everyone loves a good party!
Check my project out along with other great inspiration, at these great blogs...

One Project at a Time at A Bowl Full of LemonsTransformation Tuesday at The Ironstone NestNifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal CharmThe Scoop at Cedar Hill RanchProject Inspired{d}at Cupcakes and CrinolineYou're Gonna Love It at Kathe with an ETweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little HouseTake a Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee CraftsPrimp Your Stuff Wednesday at Primp JunktionBe Inspired at Elizabeth and CoTime to Shine at A Diamond in the StuffToo Cute Tuesday at Funky Polkadot GiraffeThe Power of Paint Party at Domestically SpeakingShow Me What You Got at Not Just a HousewifeShare It Link Party at The Winthrop ChroniclesTasteful Tuesday at Naptime CreationsTutorial Tuesday at Hope StudiosTrash 2 Treasure at Kammy's KornerFluster's Creative Muster Party at Fluster BusterThe Creative Spark at Clean and ScentsibleTuesdays at Our Home at Our Home Away from HomeHomemade by You at Made to be a Momma,  Brag About It Tuesday at BebetsyGinger Jamboree Link Party at Homemade GingerInspire me Tuesday at A Stroll thru LifeTell Us Tuesday at One Fine Wire

Wildly Original Link Party at I Gotta CreateWow Us Wednesday at Family Home and LifeWhatever Goes Wednesday at Someday CraftsWhimsy Wednesday at Smart School HouseWhat's It Wednesday at Ivy and ElephantsWednesday Whatsits at White Lights on WednesdayWhat We Accomplished Wednesday at Green Willow PondUnder $100 Linky Party at Beyond the Picket FenceWow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern StyleWow Me Wednesday at Gingersnap CraftsFrom Dream to Reality at The DIY DreamerIts' a Party! at A Creative PrincessShow Off Your Stuff Party at Fireflies and JellybeansA Little Bird Told Me Link Party at The Life of Jennifer DawnOh What a Happy Day Link Party at Not Done Growing,The Project stash at 4 You with LovePaint Party at Start at HomeTwo Girls and a Party at Life with the Crust OffWork It Wednesday at The Blissful BeeMoonlight & Mason Jars Link Party at The Newlywed PilgrimageOpen House Party at No Minimalist Here

Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard SeedInspire Me Please Link Party at Liz Marie BlogFrugal Friday at The Shabby NestFeathered Nest Friday at French Country CottageWhat Have You Redone at Redoux InteriorsHome Sweet Home at The Charm of HomeThrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty GrooveSimple and Sweet Fridays at Rooted inThymeBe Inspired at Common GroundFlaunt It Friday at Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingFrugalicious Friday at Finding FabulousFabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer RizzoShow and Tell Friday at Romantic HomeJunkin' Joe Vintage and Thrifty Finds at The Cottage MarketLink Party Palooza at Tatertots and JelloShabbilicious Friday Link Party at Shabby Art BoutiqueTickled Pink at 504 MainAnything Blue Friday at The Dedicated HouseShow and Tell Party at Gingerly MadeFriday's Five Features at DIY Vintage ChicCreate Inspire at A Night Owl BlogCraft Frenzy Friday at Craft DictatorFriday Link Party at The Pin JunkieBest of the Weekend at A Little ClaireificationTGIF Friday Link Party at A Peek into My ParadiseDIY Weekend at Mr and Mrs Winslett

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover