Monday, August 19, 2013

Industrial Cabinet Goodness!

Some of my favorite decor pieces are industrial. I just love the look of metal and wood together in perfect harmony. And, if you ask me, we don't do nearly enough of them! But I'm sharing one with you today that I hope you like!


We've been sitting on these rusty metal drawers for awhile and finally got around to turning them into something fabulous. We were originally going to build a 3-drawer cabinet but, due to some technical difficulties (namely a mis-measure by Eric. lol), we ended up with room for 2 drawers and some space left over in the middle. Eric was pretty bummed with himself for that oops. But, as is sometimes the case, the error turned into a good thing! He decided to leave the extra area as a cubby, but wanted to put a door of sorts on it. So, one day while at work, he found this rusty grate and imagined it would be a fantastic door for the cubby area. And he was so right! Just look how cool it is all nestled away in a framed door for the cubby!
 As for the cabinet itself, I could not decide what color to paint it that would coordinate well with the rusty greenish metal drawers. Boy, did I have some problems with this one! I must have painted it about 5 times. At least! I started with CeCe Caldwell Emerald Isle Green and that didn't work. Then I added some Pittsburgh Gray. Nope, that wasn't the right one either. I added a little bit of American Paint Company's Tumbleweed. Then I added Annie Sloan Duck Egg and dry-brushed a little more Emerald Isle on top of that. I pretty much went through every color in the book! I was about to throw my hands up in defeat, when I had a thought. I slapped on some ASCP Aubusson Blue, going this way and that with my brush strokes, leaving the Duck Egg showing through in spots. And I think it worked! It's definitely a different look than I usually do, and I like it. Finally! :)
For the cute little stubby legs, which are just some cut-up yard sale pieces/parts, I used Duck Egg, sparingly, over the original stain. 
Here you can see the Emerald Isle peeking through the Aubusson, and just a hint of the Tumbleweed, which goes nicely with the rust on the metal. 
I painted the new hinge so it wouldn't be all shiny and completely out of place next to the rust.
I stained the cabinet door with Minwax Jacobean, and the inside of the cabinet, too. I love using a dark stain to compliment metal, like I did on another Junky Industrial Cabinet you should check out.
And I decided to keep the original labels in the drawers. I guess I like the pop of yellow against this very-layered paint job! :)
I had to show off my new tackle box, too. I found this at a store down the road from where I work. They were going out business and everything was 40% off. I just couldn't resist the color! And it matches so nicely with our new Industrial Cabinet! :)


Head on over and like our facebook page here.
Follow me on Pinterest with this link.
To get all the latest posts through bloglovin', just click this.
New followers and comments absolutely make my day! :)
post signature

Everyone loves a good party!
Check my project out along with other great inspiration, at these great blogs...

One Project at a Time at A Bowl Full of LemonsTransformation Tuesday at The Ironstone NestMonday Funday at Creatively LivingNifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal CharmThe Scoop at Cedar Hill RanchProject Inspired{d}at Cupcakes and CrinolineYou're Gonna Love It at Kathe with an ETransformed Tuesdays at PJH DesignsTweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little HouseTake a Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee CraftsPrimp Your Stuff Wednesday at Primp JunktionBe Inspired at Elizabeth and CoPretty Things Link Party at twelveOeightTime to Shine at A Diamond in the StuffToo Cute Tuesday at Funky Polkadot GiraffeThe Power of Paint Party at Domestically SpeakingCreatively Tuesday at The Rustic PigShow Me What You Got at Not Just a HousewifeShare It Link Party at The Winthrop ChroniclesTasteful Tuesday at Naptime CreationsTutorial Tuesday at Hope StudiosTrash 2 Treasure at Kammy's KornerFluster's Creative Muster Party at Fluster BusterThe Creative Spark at Clean and ScentsibleTuesdays at Our Home at Our Home Away from HomeHomemade by You at Made to be a MommaTrendy Tuesdays at Sweet Little GalsBrag About It Tuesday at BebetsyGinger Jamboree Link Party at Homemade GingerInspire me Tuesday at A Stroll thru LifeTransformation Tuesday at The Ironstone Nest

Wildly Original Link Party at I Gotta CreateWow Us Wednesday at Family Home and LifeWhatever Goes Wednesday at Someday CraftsWhimsy Wednesday at Smart School HouseWhat's It Wednesday at Ivy and ElephantsWednesday Whatsits at White Lights on WednesdayWhat We Accomplished Wednesday at Green Willow PondUnder $100 Linky Party at Beyond the Picket FenceShow and Share at Southern LovelyWow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern StyleWow Me Wednesday at Gingersnap CraftsFrom Dream to Reality at The DIY DreamerIts' a Party! at A Creative PrincessShow Off Your Stuff Party at Fireflies and JellybeansLook What I Made Wednesday at Creations by KaraCreate and Share at The Trendy TreehouseA Little Bird Told Me Link Party at The Life of Jennifer DawnOh What a Happy Day Link Party at Not Done Growing,The Project stash at 4 You with LovePaint Party at Start at HomeTwo Girls and a Party at Life with the Crust OffWork It Wednesday at The Blissful Bee

Simply Creations Link Party at My Simple HomelifeFurniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard SeedInspire Me Please Link Party at Liz Marie BlogFrugal Friday at The Shabby NestFeathered Nest Friday at French Country CottageWhat Have You Redone at Redoux InteriorsHome Sweet Home at The Charm of HomeThrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty GrooveSimple and Sweet Fridays at Rooted inThymeBe Inspired at Common GroundFaunt It Friday at Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingFrugalicious Friday at Finding FabulousFabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer RizzoShow and Tell Friday at Romantic HomeJunkin' Joe Vintage and Thrifty Finds at The Cottage MarketWeekend Wrap-Up Party at Tatertots and JelloShabbilicious Friday Link Party at Shabby Art BoutiqueTickled Pink at 504 MainAnything Blue Friday at The Dedicated HouseRustic Restorations Weekend Link Party at Homespun Happenings,  Great Idea Thursdays at A Handful of EverythingOne Sharendipity Place at The T2 Women BlogShow and Tell Party at Gingerly MadeFriday's Five Features at DIY Vintage ChicCraft Frenzy Friday at Craft Dictator

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover