Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Junk-Style Wall Organizer

Chippy Hardware on a Wall Organizer via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
Today I'm sharing what I think is a really fun project that I made to keep for my very own. This beauty has a little bit of everything: Beadboard. Chippy Paint. Rusty Metal. Burlap. Chalkboards. Do I have your attention yet?
It's my new Junk-Style Wall Organizer...
Junk Style Wall Organizer via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
We'll get to all of the goodies in due-time. But let's talk first about the starting point. This beautiful chippy cupboard door. Just look at it...
Chippy Beadboard Cupboard Door as a Junk Style Wall Organizer via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
The door has been the backdrop for numerous photos of other projects. I just love the way it looks. And I knew it would be the perfect base for a cool wall organizer.

It started out pretty close to perfect. But I did do a few things to it. It was just a little too white for me (after I cleaned off all the grime!) and I also wanted the wood showing through to be a touch darker. So I used dark stain on the wood to deepen it and also right over the paint to give it even more of an aged look. Now it's got a slight grayish hue to it (and not because it's filthy, like when I picked it up!)
Vintage Cupboard Door as a Junk Style Wall Organizer via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
The next thing I wanted to do to it was add file pockets. Who can't use a few more file pockets, right? I had seen this really cool Old Book Mail Organizer and wanted to do something along those lines. I happen to have a stack of old school chalkboard slates and figured I could make those into wall pockets using the same principle as the mail organizer pockets I had seen. I used drop cloth, cut into triangular pieces the same height as the chalkboards and all the same width so they would protrude off the cupboard door the same distance when open. 
School Chalkboard Slates into File Pockets via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
I hot glued the drop cloth to one side of the chalkboard (slightly folding the drop cloth in so there would be an edge to attach it to) and then, after having marked where I wanted to put it on the door, I hot glued the other edge of the triangular fabric to the door. Then I repeated this step for the other side of the chalkboard. I put the top pocket on first, as I knew I would be attaching the next pocket right over the bottom of the first. And finally added the last pocket. {I'm not the best at tutorials. I never seem to remember to take any during photos. So, if I've just totally confused you with what I said about these file pockets, go check out Becky's post at Beyond the Picket Fence to see her not-confusing tutorial.}

 I added a small piece of folded burlap at the bottom of each pocket to account for the gap between the chalkboard and the cupboard door made by the folded drop cloth. Can't have papers sliding out the bottom of the pockets, now can I? :)

It worked out pretty well, except there is slightly too much fabric at the top of the 2nd and 3rd pockets because they aren't sitting flush against the cupboard door. I hadn't thought about that when I cut them all the same size. But this is mine, I'm not selling it, and I can handle the imperfection. :)

Now I have file pockets and chalkboards all in one!
School Chalkboard Slates and Drop Cloth as File Pockets via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
Next up is the clipboard. I didn't have an old, worn clipboard to use. Instead, I grabbed my daughter's. I've already confessed to her and promised to buy her a new one! But hers was relatively new and it just wasn't quite what I wanted for my very junky organizer. I got out the stain and rubbed it on the clipboard with a rag. Now it looks aged and well-used. Perfect! I drilled a hole and inserted a nicely rusted nail into the door, tapping it slightly to attach it, to hang my clipboard on. The nail was so darn rusty, I was afraid to pound it too hard with a hammer because I was quite sure it would break!

And that cool vintage ledger paper hanging on the clipboard? Well, I simply printed that off my desktop printer. It's a free printable over at Knick of Time.
Junky wall Organizer via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
I added a magnet to the back of a slightly rusted bulldog clip with E6000 glue. That chippy hinge there on the cupboard door is magnetic, so why not? Now I've got an extra clip to use!
Magnetic Bulldog Clip on a Chippy Hinge via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
After having placed the file folders and clipboard on the wall organizer, I needed to balance it out on the left hand side. I played around with a few things in my mind, but nothing seemed to look quite right there. Then I saw this thing in my pile of junk. I really didn't know what it was. I'd picked it up at the thrift store thinking I could do something with it. Thanks to my Instagram followers out there, I've since found out it had something to do with jewelry making. Well, not anymore...
Repurposed Metal Find as a MIni Memo Board via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
First off, I rusted this up a bit. I sanded the spots that I wanted to rust and I mixed equal parts vinegar and bleach and let the metal soak in the mixture overnight. It was my first time trying this method but it worked wonderfully! After rinsing it off and drying it, I added a strip of burlap and now it's a small memo board. Just the right size for those business cards you want to keep or a little photo! I hung it by using bakers twine and tying it through the holes in the hinge at the top of the cupboard door.
Rusting Metal with Vinegar and Bleach via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
I used a medium sized C-hook to hang this cool glass jar on the cupboard door for pencils. I picked this wonderful jar up for $1.00 at the thrift store. 
Old Jar as Pencil Holder on a Junk-Style Wall Organizer via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
And finally, I added a small shelf. Cut from scraps of pallet wood and stained a deep brown, this little shelf is the right size to hold my Vintage Ruler Box and a small fluted tin that holds the chalk for writing on my file pockets!
Small Pallet Wood Shelf on a wall Organizer Made from Junk via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
This project was so much fun to make!
Wall Organizer Made from Junk and Thrifty Finds via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
 I sure hope you've enjoyed seeing it!

I'd love it if you keep in touch...
'Til next time!
post signature
Spreading the junk around at these great blog parties...
That DIY Party at DIY ShowoffGive Me the Goods Party at Rain on a Tin RoofMonday Funday at Creatively LivingInspiration Monday at twelveOeightThe Scoop at Cedar Hill RanchProject Inspired{d}at Cupcakes and CrinolineTweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little HouseThe Power of Paint Party at Domestically SpeakingFluster's Creative Muster Party at Fluster BusterNifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal CharmBrag About It Tuesday at BebetsyKnick of Time Tuesday at Knick of Time InteriorsWhimsy Wednesday at Smart School HouseUnder $100 Linky Party at Beyond the Picket FenceWow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern StyleFrom Dream to Reality at The DIY DreamerWork It Wednesday at The Blissful BeeHome and Garden Thursday at A Delightsome LifeCatch As Catch Can at My Repurposed LifeFurniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard SeedInspire Me Please Link Party at Liz Marie BlogFrugal Friday at The Shabby NestFeathered Nest Friday at French Country CottageWhat Have You Redone at Redoux InteriorsThrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty GrooveSimple and Sweet Fridays at Rooted inThymeBe Inspired at Common GroundFabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer RizzoShow and Tell Friday at Romantic HomeJunkin' Joe Vintage and Thrifty Finds at The Cottage MarketLink Party Palooza at Tatertots and JelloTickled Pink at 504 MainBest of the Weekend at A Little ClaireificationSaturday Show and Tell at Cheerios and LattesSaturday Nite Special at Funky Junk InteriorsA Bouquet of Talent Party at Life on Lakeshore DriveDIY Showcase Party at Minette's MazeShare It One More Time at One More Time Events

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover