Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Rusty Metal Shelf

A Rusty Bin Turned Shelf via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
Sometimes you pick up a great piece of junk and you just know you're going to use it for something awesome. Somehow. But you're just not sure how at first. So it sits for awhile. Unused. Maybe feeling a little unloved. That's exactly how this little bin's story goes. Until now.

A few weeks ago, I shared my Junky Office Wall Organizer with you. Originally, I thought this bin was going to end up on that project. But it just didn't work with the other things I wanted to include on the organizer. Maybe this bin was just a little too cool to be anything but the center of attention.
Rust, rust and more rust! A metal shelf project via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
I mean, just look at all that RUST!
A rusty bin turned shelf for displaying small items via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
Since it was in my house after not making it onto the wall organizer, I saw it every morning. And wondered. Just what will I do with this bin? Eric had already drilled holes in the bin so I could attach it to the wall organizer. So I figured I would run with that original plan. But give it a little twist. I'd build a pallet wood backer for the bin to attach to. 
A pallet wood backer holds a rusty bin shelf via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
I got out my saw and cut 3 boards to the same length. Then I cut 2 more shorter boards to run crosswise over those. I used wood glue and nails to attach the 3 longer boards onto the 2 shorter boards. I was going to put the bin on that backer and call it good. But that wasn't enough of a plan. So I grabbed 3 leftovers from my previous cuts that were the same length and attached those to the back of the boards, running directly behind the original 2 shorter boards and also placing one in the center, so 3 boards hung down below the original base.
Rustic pallet wood is the perfect backdrop for a rusty bin shelf via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
Then I attached a board onto those 3 extending boards. And added one of the same length onto the top. Now it was more substantial. But still not done.
Pallet wood and rusty metal shelf via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
I found another board, not pallet wood but equally weathered and just a bit larger in depth. Just the right size for a shelf over the bin. I placed it on to see how it would look and, well, that's just what it needed! I grabbed 2 small pieces of wood. Truth is, it was 1 piece that had accidentally split apart awhile ago and, since I never throw anything away (like ever), I still had them around. I marked where they would need to be attached to the shelf board with a pencil and then used some wood glue and screws to attach them together. Next, from the back side, I drilled holes through the original base and the split pieces of wood. It's important to drill before screwing when using pallet wood because it will typically split if you don't. (Yeah, I know from experience.) I used 4 larger screws to attach the shelf to the wall base. I put a little black paint on the shelf and the split boards to dirty them up a bit and coordinate with the metal bin. The shelf seems very sturdy and, since I'm not selling this piece, I know I'm not going to put anything too heavy on it anyway.   
rustic pallet wood and rusty metal are the perfect compliment foe each other via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
I added the fun numbers onto the bottom cross bar. 1. 2. 3. Because, for now, it's a gallery wall of me and my 2 kiddos. That will eventually change, but for now it's just us 3 in the house. Besides, when circumstances change (i.e., Eric and I actually live in the same town and can get married and all that jazz), we'll be in a different house anyway. So we'll need a whole new gallery wall :)
A rust and pallet wood combo make for a warm addition to this gallery wall via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com

metal numbers add a touch of fun to a rusty metal and pallet wood shelf via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
Here are some larger shots of my new rusty shelf on my updated gallery wall...
A rust and pallet wood combo make for a warm addition to this gallery wall via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com

A new rusty shelf on a family gallery wall via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
It's really a great piece for my new gallery wall. And it just goes to prove that you shouldn't rush some things. Sometimes you have to wait to find the perfect purpose. That goes for rusty metal bins and people, too. I never would have guessed 3 years ago that I would find my bliss in making something like this. But, over the last year or so, I sure have found a new purpose for me, as well as this great bin!


Let's keep in touch...
Your comments make me smile :) 'Til next time!
post signature


Rusting up the place at these great blog parties...
That DIY Party at DIY Showoff, Sundays at Home with Thoughts From AliceLink It or Lump It Sunday at Soho SonnetGive Me the Goods Party at Rain on a Tin RoofMonday Funday at Creatively LivingInspiration Monday at twelveOeightThe Scoop at Cedar Hill RanchProject Inspired{d}at Cupcakes and CrinolineTweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little HouseThe Power of Paint Party at Domestically SpeakingFluster's Creative Muster Party at Fluster BusterNifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal CharmBrag About It Tuesday at BebetsyKnick of Time Tuesday at Knick of Time InteriorsWhimsy Wednesday at Smart School HouseUnder $100 Linky Party at Beyond the Picket FenceWow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern StyleFrom Dream to Reality at The DIY DreamerWork It Wednesday at The Blissful BeeHome and Garden Thursday at A Delightsome LifeCatch As Catch Can at My Repurposed LifeFurniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard SeedInspire Me Please Link Party at Liz Marie BlogFrugal Friday at The Shabby NestFeathered Nest Friday at French Country CottageWhat Have You Redone at Redoux InteriorsThrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty GrooveSimple and Sweet Fridays at Rooted inThymeBe Inspired at Common GroundFabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer RizzoShow and Tell Friday at Romantic HomeJunkin' Joe Vintage and Thrifty Finds at The Cottage MarketLink Party Palooza at Tatertots and JelloTickled Pink at 504 MainBest of the Weekend at A Little ClaireificationSaturday Show and Tell at Cheerios and LattesSaturday Nite Special at Funky Junk InteriorsA Bouquet of Talent Party at Life on Lakeshore DriveDIY Showcase Party at Minette's MazeShare It One More Time at One More Time Events

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover