Monday, July 15, 2013

A Farmhouse Style Pie Safe

I've always wanted to pick up a pie safe. There's just something so farmhouse about them. But my cheap (make that frugal-it sounds better) nature never allows me to pay the piper for one. So when I picked up a $5 piece of junk from a yard sale, my first thought was to turn it into a pie safe. And that's just what we did!
Here is the original piece I bought. It said make an offer so I did. And I got it for a whopping 5 dollars. I thought that was a pretty good steal. It was made from beadboard, after all. And I love beadboard.
{Check out the sponge stamped hearts on the inside there.}
The first thing I did was paint the outside white. Vintage White from CeCe Caldwell, to be exact. But I didn't worry about getting into all the grooves. I wanted this to have a nice farmhouse feel.
The inside was pretty much bare wood. And I have this nearly full gallon of latex paint in the prettiest shade of blue. I used it to paint blue stripes on Eric's beadboard bathroom cabinet and I love the color. So I chose it for the inside of this piece, too. 
Eric cut a shelf and some cleats to hold it. I painted those the same shade of blue, secured my cleats with screws and inserted the shelf.
Eric cut 3 wider pallet wood boards for the top and I stained them with Minwax Jacobean. A nice dark finish. Then I used the blue on the outside edges of the boards. 
Eric constructed a pallet wood door for this great cabinet. I used the same Minwax stain on it and attached screen to the back.
I added a hook and loop latch to the door.I thought that was the most farmhousey choice of latches. :)
Eric added 6" tall 4x4 legs to the bottom of the cabinet. I used the same stain on those, too.
{I hadn't painted the screw heads white before I took this photo. oops}
Setting the cabinet up for its photo shoot was pretty fun, too!
I grabbed a few vintage items I kept from my mom's house when she passed away.
They've just been sitting in my kitchen drawer until now.
It's amazing how many old things I have that I forget about until I'm ready to stage a picture.
Unfortunately, my tiny rental house doesn't let me display as many things as I would like.
Someday I can see these sitting on a shelf in my farmhouse kitchen...
But for now, they're prettying up the new pie safe!
Love the vintage apron in my favorite color! 
  My only regret is not having the time to actually bake a fresh pie for this photo shoot! :)
And here it is at our booth this last weekend. Loving it with the coffee blocks and kitchen signs, too!
 I really hope you've enjoyed looking at this project.
I know I've been very excited to get it done and show it to you! 

Head on over and like our facebook page here.
Follow me on Pinterest with this link.
To get all the latest posts through bloglovin', just click this.
New followers and comments absolutely make my day! :)

Everyone loves a good party!
Check my project out along with other great inspiration, at these great blogs...

One Project at a Time at A Bowl Full of LemonsTransformation Tuesday at The Ironstone NestMonday Funday at Creatively LivingNifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal CharmThe Scoop at Cedar Hill RanchProject Inspired{d}at Cupcakes and CrinolineYou're Gonna Love It at Kathe with an ETransformed Tuesdays at PJH DesignsTweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little HouseTake a Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee CraftsPrimp Your Stuff Wednesday at Primp JunktionBe Inspired at Elizabeth and CoPretty Things Link Party at twelveOeightTime to Shine at A Diamond in the StuffToo Cute Tuesday at Funky Polkadot GiraffeThe Power of Paint Party at Domestically SpeakingCreatively Tuesday at The Rustic PigShow Me What You Got at Not Just a HousewifeShare It Link Party at The Winthrop ChroniclesTasteful Tuesday at Naptime CreationsTutorial Tuesday at Hope StudiosTrash 2 Treasure at Kammy's KornerFluster's Creative Muster Party at Fluster BusterThe Creative Spark at Clean and ScentsibleTuesdays at Our Home at Our Home Away from HomeHomemade by You at Made to be a MommaTrendy Tuesdays at Sweet Little GalsBrag About It Tuesday at BebetsyGinger Jamboree Link Party at Homemade Ginger, Inspire me Tuesday at A Stroll thru Life

Wildly Original Link Party at I Gotta CreateWow Us Wednesday at Family Home and LifeWhatever Goes Wednesday at Someday CraftsWhimsy Wednesday at Smart School HouseWhat's It Wednesday at Ivy and ElephantsWednesday Whatsits at White Lights on WednesdayWhat We Accomplished Wednesday at Green Willow PondUnder $100 Linky Party at Beyond the Picket FenceShow and Share at Southern LovelyWow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern StyleWow Me Wednesday at Gingersnap CraftsFrom Dream to Reality at The DIY DreamerIts' a Party! at A Creative PrincessShow Off Your Stuff Party at Fireflies and JellybeansLook What I Made Wednesday at Creations by KaraCreate and Share at The Trendy TreehouseA Little Bird Told Me Link Party at The Life of Jennifer DawnOh What a Happy Day Link Party at Not Done Growing,The Project stash at 4 You with LovePaint Party at Start at HomeTwo Girls and a Party at Life with the Crust OffWork It Wednesday at The Blissful Bee

Simply Creations Link Party at My Simple HomelifeFurniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard SeedInspire Me Please Link Party at Liz Marie BlogFrugal Friday at The Shabby NestFeathered Nest Friday at French Country CottageWhat Have You Redone at Redoux InteriorsHome Sweet Home at The Charm of HomeThrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty GrooveSimple and Sweet Fridays at Rooted inThymeBe Inspired at Common GroundFaunt It Friday at Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingFrugalicious Friday at Finding FabulousFabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer RizzoShow and Tell Friday at Romantic HomeJunkin' Joe Vintage and Thrifty Finds at The Cottage MarketWeekend Wrap-Up Party at Tatertots and JelloShabbilicious Friday Link Party at Shabby Art BoutiqueTickled Pink at 504 MainAnything Blue Friday at The Dedicated HouseRustic Restorations Weekend Link Party at Homespun Happenings,  Great Idea Thursdays at A Handful of EverythingOne Sharendipity Place at The T2 Women Blog, Show and Tell Party at Gingerly Made
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover