Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A Blue Beauty {The Sequel}

 
We previously showed you our Beauty in Blue Desk Makeover in Duck Egg and Old White. It's one of our most popular posts, so go and check it out if you missed it. :) In the meantime, here's a photo so you can check the two out together. 
A friend snatched up that desk and she loves it. She loves it so much that she wanted a dresser to match! She ended up choosing a dresser from a little shop known as My Garage Showroom. It's actually very far from a showroom. There's hardly any room to move in there right now! And it's currently much more full than in this before pic...
This particular dresser was a free-to-me from another friend. Her husband had started scraping the old (and quite bad) paint job off already. He had most of it done except some scraggly areas and one whole side. As soon as Karlye decided to go with this one, I started sanding and scraping. The weather was nice, as it had finally started to get warm here in Michigan, so it wasn't an unpleasant task. And the scraping was pretty easy. I had to fix one corner of the veneer at the bottom, too, but it was basically just gluing it back down and then putting wood fill over it to smooth the edges.
 Once sanded, I stained the whole thing in Minwax Jacobean so it would be a nice dark finish like the desk. I did the whole piece since I had to sand it and I wanted it to distress the same as the desk too.
 
I painted the drawer fronts and the sides in Duck Egg. For the front, I used Old White.
Then, because the desk had nice Old White trim along the corners but this dresser did not, I taped off the sides and the bottoms of each side and painted a faux trim along them. 
I distressed. Then waxed with a combination of clear and dark aging wax.
For the finishing touch, I chose knobs that actually didn't match the desk. We used the original hardware for the desk but this dresser only had one knob and, truth be told, doesn't even need any. But it looks so much prettier with the knobs I chose, all white and distressed and flowery. Just a touch of girly :)
I chose 2 different styles but they all have the same chippy finish.
I staggered each drawer so that the knobs on the top and 3rd drawers are 10" from the outside of the dresser and the other four knobs are only 8" from the outside. I thought this boxy dresser deserved a little more pizazz and the knobs did the trick!

Although it seems like the blue on the dresser is a different shade than desk, it really is just a product of the difference in lighting I had to work with for each photo shoot.

I hope she is as happy with her new dresser as she was with the desk! Next week, we'll be showing you a really awesome chest of drawers we did for her too. But you can get a sneak peak of that project this Thursday when I guest post at Alderberry Hill {So excited!}


If you haven't liked our facebook page yet, you can do that here.
And you can follow me on Pinterest with this link.
To get my new posts at bloglovin', just click this.
Getting new followers and comments absolutely makes my day! :)

Everyone loves a good party!
Check my project out along with other great inspiration, at these great blogs...

One Project at a Time at A Bowl Full of Lemons, Transformation Tuesday at The Ironstone Nest, Monday Funday at Creatively Living, Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm, The Scoop at Cedar Hill Ranch, Project Inspired{d}at Cupcakes and Crinoline, You're Gonna Love It at Kathe with an E, Transformed Tuesdays at PJH Designs, Tweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little House, Take a Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts, Primp Your Stuff Wednesday at Primp Junktion, Be Inspired at Elizabeth and Co, Pretty Things Link Party at twelveOeight, Time to Shine at A Diamond in the Stuff, Too Cute Tuesday at Funky Polkadot Giraffe, The Power of Paint Party at Domestically Speaking, Creatively Tuesday at The Rustic Pig, Show Me What You Got at Not Just a Housewife, Share It Link Party at The Winthrop Chronicles, Tasteful Tuesday at Naptime Creations, Tutorial Tuesday at Hope Studios, Trash 2 Treasure at Kammy's Korner, Fluster's Creative Muster Party at Fluster Buster, The Creative Spark at Clean and Scentsible, Tuesdays at Our Home at Our Home Away from Home, Homemade by You at Made to be a Momma, Trendy Tuesdays at Sweet Little Gals, Brag About It Tuesday at Bebetsy

Wildly Original Link Party at I Gotta Create, Wow Us Wednesday at Family Home and Life, Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts, Whimsy Wednesday at Smart School House, What's It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants, Wednesday Whatsits at White Lights on Wednesday, What We Accomplished Wednesday at Green Willow Pond, Under $100 Linky Party at Beyond the Picket Fence, Show and Share at Southern Lovely, Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style, Wow Me Wednesday at Gingersnap Crafts, From Dream to Reality at The DIY Dreamer, Its' a Party! at A Creative Princess, Show Off Your Stuff Party at Fireflies and Jellybeans, Look What I Made Wednesday at Creations by Kara, Create and Share at The Trendy Treehouse, A Little Bird Told Me Link Party at The Life of Jennifer Dawn, Oh What a Happy Day Link Party at Not Done Growing

Simply Creations Link Party at My Simple Homelife, Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed, Inspire Me Please Link Party at Liz Marie Blog, Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest, Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage, What Have You Redone at Redoux Interiors, Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home, Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove, Simple and Sweet Fridays at Rooted inThyme, Be Inspired at Common Ground, Faunt It Friday at Chic on a Shoestring Decorating, Frugalicious Friday at Finding Fabulous, Fabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer Rizzo, Show and Tell Friday at Romantic Home, Junkin' Joe Vintage and Thrifty Finds at The Cottage Market, Weekend Wrap-Up Party at Tatertots and Jello, Shabbilicious Friday Link Party at Shabby Art Boutique, Tickled Pink at 504 Main, Anything Blue Friday at The Dedicated House, Rustic Restorations Weekend Link Party at Homespun Happenings,  Great Idea Thursdays at A Handful of Everything, One Sharendipity Place at The T2 Women


31 comments:

  1. Love,love the color. I have used Duck Egg and I love it. Thanks for sharing your little beauty. Karie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duck Egg and White is a combo I really like too :)

      Delete
  2. I love that color!!! What brand is it, and is it actually called duck egg? I need to pick me some of that up! The furnishings look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and the color is called Duck Egg. It is a very pretty robin's egg type blue.

      Delete
  3. I love both, but the desk is really blowing me away. I'm your newest follower by the way. I hadn't subscribed yet, allthough you have visited me & the Crafty Country Cottage a lot already (shame on me :)).

    Goedele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Goedele! Thanks for following now :)

      Delete
  4. Love this!! There’s a new LINK-UP Party going on at thet2women.com and we would love to feature your post!! Here’s the link: http://thet2women.com/welcome-to-one-sharendipity-place-link-up-2/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your color choice. You did a fabulous job on the dresser. So beautiful... Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work! This is so pretty and a perfect companion to the desk! Diann and I thank you for linking up to TTF this week.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job! I love the stain on the top and the painted furniture on the side.

    ~Chelsea @ Married Filing Jointly
    http://www.marriedfiling-jointly.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this and PINned your post to our Pinterest board!! Thanks for linking up with us at One Sharendipity Place this weekend!!

    Blessings, sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Furniture Redo's! And this color just draws me in! Great WORK! Thanks for showing it off on Monday's Pin Hop!

    Shelly- cohost
    minettesmaze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! Thanks for linking up to The DIY'ers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome job! Perfect amount of distressing! Thanks for sharing at Give Me The Goods Monday! Can't wait to see what you bring next week! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! You did a fabulous job. I just pinned. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent! I hope you are having a wonderful week!! :)
    XOXO
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! The knobs are so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how it turned out! My mom just got some chalk paint & I can't wait to try it out :)
    Found you at Live Laugh Rowe!
    Blessings,
    Nicole
    http://coleyscraftingcorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow! that turned out really well! Thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays and for the link back :o) Can't wait to see what you bring next week. Emily @ Nap-Time Creations
    oh, and I just posted looking for some help with my blog... maybe you can offer some advice?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the color combo! I'm in the process of designing my craft room and my eye keeps going this color blue. Thank you for sharing at Fluster's Creative Muster.

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the color- it came out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks absolutely beautiful! The colours are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely! One of my favorite colors. Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi... Thank you for sharing at One More Time Events, Just stopping by to let you know you have been featured. Hope you can come by and join the party again this week http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2013/05/share-it-one-more-time-features-and_26.html...Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  21. It turned out wonderful. I love that color. I'm so glad you joined us this week at Transformed Tuesday. Have a great week.

    Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it Denise! The knobs really do accent it so well. The desk is fabulous too! I have used Duck Egg blue, but I really like it with the white. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is gorgeous Denise! Thank you for joining Pin It Monday Hop#9, It's a Pinterest Party (Link). If you have extra time, we'd love for you to come back and check some other great projects at our latest Pin It Monday Hop#10(Link) OR you can link-up if you have not done so yet. I hope to see you there, Denise!

    Judy
    Pursuit of Functional Home.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Miss Denise! Great job darlin'! I love the hardware that you picked for this piece. The flower nobs are perfect! I can't wait to see what you make next! Krista @ A Handful of Everything

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Denise,

    We are featuring your project at Pursuit of Functional Home today. Please watch out for it.

    Judy
    Pursuit of Functional Home.


    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover